Saturday 31 December 2011

The ocean's acid test is not a test at all? Some personal experience sharing


Last Thursday, I went scuba diving for the first time ever in my life at the Fish Eye Marine Park in Guam. Guam is an island located in the western Pacific Ocean. Scuba diving is a truely amazing experience and I strongly urge you to try if you haven't done it before! Having submerged under the sea for about 45 minutes, I saw plentiful of beautiful tropical fishes and different kinds of spectacular coral reefs, felt like swimming with the fish in those aquariums!


After this scuba diving experience, I was thinking to myself maybe ocean acidification is not actually that bad. Or it hasn't had that much of an impact on those marine life yet, not for those in Guam at least! I am now more convinced that ocean acidification is a highly localised problem. As mentioned in my previous posts, ocean acidity varies with latitude and time. There are still plenty of precious corals and fish out there in the world's oceans! Perhaps we should stay a bit more optimistic towards our oceans future but be cautious at the same time to protect these beautiful sea life.


3 comments:

  1. So lucky! I wish I could have had that opportunity... but I will have to get to Guam first!

    I know you say you should be optimistic but I would say now you have experienced such a wonder of the natural world there is even more of an onus to protect, preserve and enhance it.

    Like you said, ocean acidification is a highly localised problem; it could mean one day it occurs in Guam. I do appreciate the thinking behind this, like in your previous post about critiques on the theory showed. But I like to be safe than sorry :D

    Love the pics! and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan,

    Thank you for your comment!Yes we should definitely protect and preserve these beautiful nature on Earth!

    And Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness! I'm so jealoussssssssss haha. And yeah, I think that when it comes to climate change, taking the better safe than sorry path is less riskier. Even though there is alot of uncertainties about the earth's dynamics, we do know for sure what will happen if the world gets warmer!

    ReplyDelete